- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spicy turkey sausage, casings removed and meat crumbled
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 chipotle in adobo with sauce, minced
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Steamed rice, chopped cilantro, and orange wedges, for serving
- In a large enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer sausage to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Add the onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pot, and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cumin, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in beans, chipotle, and sausage.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, over moderately low heat until beans are tender, 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours. Mash some beans with the back of a fork to make the stew creamy, then stir in lime juice and season with salt.
- Serve stew over steamed rice with cilantro and orange wedges.
Also On CLEO TV: