Smoked Turkey Leg Stew with Vegetables Recipe by Chef Jernard
Chef Jernard cooks up a southern-inspired smoked turkey leg stew complete with veggies and smoked turkey. Plus, he reveals the key to perfecting the creamy broth in this dish. Watch New Soul Kitchen tonight at 9P/8C on CLEO TV.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- ½ cup diced carrot
- 3-4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 smoked turkey legs, meat pulled off the bone ¾-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ cup diced green onion tops
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a Dutch oven pot over medium heat, add the oil and butter. Once the oil begins to smoke add the trinity; onions, celery, and green bell pepper.
- Saute for 2 minutes and then add the carrots. Sauté for 2 more minutes and add the flour.
- Continue stirring until the flour turns brown and add the garlic & chicken stock. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the turkey leg pieces and the diced tomatoes. Stir all together. Continue stirring and add in the Cajun seasoning.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and let cook for 20 minutes. Uncover the pot and stir; add the green onion tops; cover the pot and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Taste the stew and season with salt and black pepper