The responsibility of being a woman is a badge of honor. For approximately 9-10 months, we watch our bodies change in ways we couldn’t have imagined to bring life into this world. Our hormones are out of control, our bodies stretch in ways that can feel uncomfortable, and without hesitation, we birth, love, and nurture little humans.
Snapback culture has made it difficult for women who may struggle with getting a similar version of their pre-baby body. While women like Teyana Taylor and Eniko Hart can quickly snap back to their pre-baby size, other women have different stories. While moms are focused on caring for a new life, they often have to deal with added pressure to lose weight.
In a touching post, actress Danielle Brooks gave her fans a more in-depth look at how she’s been dealing with her post-baby body.
“As someone who coined the phrase #voiceofthecurves I’ve muted my voice for a few months now out of shame,” she captioned under an Instagram post showing her full-figured body. “I felt shameful of gaining weight. Even though I brought a whole human into the world, I still felt shameful because I wasn’t able to maintain my normal body weight post- pregnancy. And a year later I have only lost roughly 20lbs of a 60lb weight gain. I was quiet in hopes to post that snatch back photo like so many celebrities miraculously do. But that’s not my story. Just like Lizzo, and so many other “fat” girls we should be allowed to make healthy choices publicly without being made to feel like frauds for trying to be healthy. I feel it’s important to share the journey, as a reminder that we are not alone, we ain’t always got it together, and that we are ALL works in progress.
So I’m sharing. I’m doing all kinds of diets, cleanses, making all kinds healthy choices. Not because I don’t love myself now, but because I DO love myself, my body and my mind. Bc I want to continue to feel strong and sexy without catching “the sugars” or any other disease. It’s okay showing the in between of growth. You ain’t always gotta have it all the way together. Just speaking from the heart. ~Danie.”
Kudos to Danielle for loving herself the way that she is and proudly sharing it with the world.
Check Out These Black Celebs Supporting Plus Size Women And Body Diversity
1. CHERLY JAMES 'SALT' OF SALT-N-PEPASource:Getty 1 of 15
2. SANDRA DENTON 'PEPA' OF SALT-N-PEPASource:Getty 2 of 15
3. SALT-N-PEPASource:Getty 3 of 15
4. LONI LOVESource:Getty 4 of 15
5. LONI LOVE AND AMBER CONNALLYSource:Getty 5 of 15
6. LONI LOVESource:Getty 6 of 15
7. FAITH EVANSSource:Getty 7 of 15
8. FAITH EVANSSource:Getty 8 of 15
9. STEVIE JSource:Getty 9 of 15
10. FAITH EVANS AND STEVIE JSource:Getty 10 of 15
11. KID CAPRISource:Getty 11 of 15
12. KID CAPRI AND JAMES RHEESource:Getty 12 of 15
13. YANDY SMITHSource:Getty 13 of 15
14. MONA SCOTT YOUNGSource:Getty 14 of 15
15. SILKY GANACHESource:Getty 15 of 15
Danielle Brooks Flaunts Her Post-Baby Body in an Emotional Message was originally published on hellobeautiful.com