The 72nd Primetime Emmy Awards honored the best in U.S. prime time television programming on Sunday. Unlike prior years, there was no red carpet due to the coronavirus pandemic. The awards show went down virtually, but it didn’t stop our favorite celebrities from showing up and showing out. Black excellence was on full display with eight Black actors taking home top awards, setting a record for the most wins in a year. Top winners were Regina King, Zendaya, Eddie Murphy, Uzo Aduba, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, father and daughter actors, Ron Cephas Jones and Jasmine Cephas Jones, and Maya Rudolph, who took home two Emmys.
There were beautiful gowns, dapper tuxedos, socially political fashion statements, and of course, there were oh-so-stylish masks. From Regina King to Zendaya, and Tracee Ellis Ross, these are our favorite looks, winners, and moments from the 2020 Emmys.
1. Zendaya at the 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
Zendaya opted for two looks, both styled by her go-to stylist Law Roach. She wore this beautiful purple puff gown to present at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards.
2. Zendaya Makes History at the 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
Zendaya accepted her Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for Euphoria in a custom two-piece dress by Armani Privé. The gown, styled by Law Roach, featured a black-and-white polka dot skirt with a silver studded bralette top. The Euphoria actress made history becoming the youngest actress ever to win in a Lead Actress category. Can we say, “Black Girl Magic?!”
3. Zendaya at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards
And, here’s a full view of Zendaya’s gown just because it deserves its own award!
4. Regina King at the 2020 Emmys
Regina King also opted for two looks for the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards. She showed off the gown she said would’ve made its way down the red carpet for her first look.
5. Regina King Wins Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie, 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
Regina King accepted her Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Watchmen. For her second look, she made a statement wearing a hot pink blazer with a t-shirt with Breonna Taylor’s face and name on it.
6. Uzo Aduba Wins Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie, 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
Uzo Aduba was one of many celebrities who made a fashion statement during the 2020 Emmys. The actress opted to wear a Breonna Taylor t-shirt as she accepted her Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie for Mrs. America.
7. RuPaul Dedicates His Emmy Award to “Drag Race” Star Chi Chi Devayne, 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
RuPaul wore a color, graphic blazer with a black shirt and gold statement jewelry to accept the Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Competition Program. He dedicated his Emmy to the late Drag Race star Chi Chi DeVayne.
8. “Drag Race” Cast at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Drag Race castmates looked radiantly colorful as they showed their support for show host RuPaul’s win.
9. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Wins Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie, Emmys 2020Source:Getty
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II wore a black tuxedo with white pinstripes and a white button shirt to accept his Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Movie for Watchmen.
10. Oprah Winfrey at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Oprah Winfrey honored her friend and colleague Tyler Perry for his Governors Award win at the 2020 Emmys. She looked elegant in a gray sparkling gown.
11. Tyler Perry Takes Home the Governors Award, 2020 EmmysSource:Getty
Tyler Perry looked dapper in a black-on-black tuxedo and shirt as he accepted the Governors Award at the 2020 Emmys.
12. Tracee Ellis Ross at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards
Tracee wouldn’t be Tracee without a moment like this. She showed off her beautiful tiered ruffle gown — barefoot and all — coupled with a stylish mask.
13. Issa Rae at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Issa Rae / Instagram
Issa Rae showed off her California style dance moves in a gorgeous orange gown by Sergio Hudson, paired with a long natural pony tail and Nike sneakers. Can she get any doper!?
14. Yvonne Orji Makes a Hair Statement at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Yvonne Orji / Instagram
Yvonne Orji chic with her short, natural hair. The Insecure co-star made a statement with the Black Lives Matter fist symbol etched into her fade.
15. Yvonne Orji at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards
Yvonne Orji’s outfit was just as powerful. The actress shined in a burgundy, one-shoulder sequin gown with a thigh-high slit by Azzi & Osta.
16. Yara Shahidi at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards Show
Yara Shahidi looked stunning in a custom Prada gown.
17. Billy Porter at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
What would a best looks and moments post be without Billy Porter? We can always count on Billy Porter to come through with the amazing ensembles. For the awards night, he chose an all white number that made skin glow.
18. Kerry Washington at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards
Kerry Washington wore a gold and black sequin dress by Dolce and Gabban, and styled by Law Roach.
19. Anthony Anderson and Sterling K. Brown 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Anthony Anderson and Sterling K. Brown showed off their stylish suits and equally stylish masks. Anderson opted for a metallic color suit, while Brown wore a black suit with a Black Lives Matter t-shirt underneath. They both were presenters at the 2020 Emmys.
20. Mahersala Ali at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Mahersala Ali looked as cool as ever in an off white shirt and tan hat.
21. Lena Waithe at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Lena Waithe also opted to wear a hat paired with a black t-shirt and gold chain. We love how she owns her style.
22. D-Nice at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
A party wouldn’t be a party without D-Nice in the building. From Club Quarantine to partnering up with Former First Lady Michelle Obama, D-Nice has been making some major moves. So, of course we’d expect to see him spinning our favorite tunes at the 2020 Emmys.
23. Cynthia Erivo at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Cynthia Erivo was spotted backstage at the 2020 Emmys looking radiant per usual.
24. Cynthia Erivo at the 72nd Annual Emmy Awards
Of course we had to show the full look. She wore a colorful Versace mini dress styled by Jason Bolden.
25. Laverne Cox at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Laverne Cox wore a custom chic, black jumpsuit by Kim Kassas Couture. Her outfit was styled by Christina J. Pacelli. Her hair was styled by Kiyah Wright in gray soft curls that hung at bob length.
26. Octavia Spencer at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Octavia Spencer wore a floral jacket paired with a black shirt.
27. Kenan Thompson at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
Kenan Thompson showed off his fitness moves at the 2020 Emmys telling viewers that he’s been cycling during quarantine. The actor and comedian was nominated for Supporting Actor in a Comedy for Saturday Night Live!
28. H.E.R. at the 72nd Annual Emmy AwardsSource:Getty
H.E.R. sang Prince’s Nothing Compares 2 U for the In Memoriam portion of the 2020 Emmys.
29. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader GinsburgSource:Getty
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was among those we lost who were honored during the 2020 Emmys. Justice Ginsburg passed away on Friday after a long battle with cancer.