Today should be a national holiday — well, at least it’s a holiday in Illinois. Our beloved Forever POTUS Barack Obama turns 59 years old today.
And, we’re not just hyping him up. In 2018, Americans said Obama is the best president of our lifetime. Just check out some of Barack Obama’s top accomplishments during his presidency:
- Ended the war in Iraq
- Saved the auto industry
- Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell & LGBTQ Work Discrimination: Repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” allowing people serving in the military to be openly gay, and also signed an executive order prohibiting federal contractors from discriminating against employees or potential employees based on their sexual preference or gender identity.
- Same-Sex Marriage: Supported LGBTQ rights in the workforce, military, & same-sex marriage
- Executive Order to Increase Minimum Wage: Raised the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10
- Affordable Care Act: Granted affordable and accessible healthcare options
- Veteran Homeless Rate: Dropped the Veteran homeless rate
- Healthy, Huger-Free Kids Act: Provided healthier and available food options in schools
- Won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009 “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between people.”
- Women’s Right to Fair Pay: Signed the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, giving women who are paid less than men for the same work the right to sue their employees, even if the discriminatory act happened years ago.
It’s no wonder why America loves him!
But besides being our first favorite president, Obama is just a cool man. Google “too much sauce” and you’ll find our beloved Leo.
During Obama’s eight years in the White House, we experienced more than just a president. He gave us charm, grace, class, and a sense of humor. Remember that time he and wifey, Forever FLOTUS Michelle Obama danced at a Beyoncé concert. Then, there was the time at a basketball game that the kissing camera landed on our favorite couple. And, when he wasn’t sitting courtside, he was hooping with the best of hoopers. He showed off his vocal skills and sang Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Stay Together.” And, let’s not forget he’s a model #GirlDad. We know he’s by no means perfect, but he’s pretty close.
In honor of our Forever POTUS’ 59th birthday, we’re giving you ten more reasons why we love President Barack Obama.
10 Reasons Why Barack Obama Is The Best President We’ve Ever Had was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
1. BARACK OBAMA CAN HOOPSource:Getty
He’s athletically inclined. Our Forever POTUS showed off his basketball skills on the South Lawn of the White House during the 2015 annual Easter Egg Hunt.
2. BARACK OBAMA AT THE KISSIMMEE KISSING THE BABIESSource:Getty
Obama loves the kids! This photo will serve as a great memory for this little baby. Barack Obama embraced a young supporter during a campaign event in Kissimmee, Florida.
3. BARACK OBAMA IS A PET LOVERSource:Getty
He loves the pets too! Barack Obama showed some love to the family dog, Bo, upon his return to the White House.
4. BARACK OBAMA HAS PERSONALITYSource:Getty
Barack Obama chopped it up in an interview on The Tonight Show with host Jimmy Fallon. It is during these chats, we get to see more of his charming personality.
5. BARACK OBAMA WORKS HARD FIRST, THEN PLAYS HARDSource:Getty
While other presidents golf year round, Barack Obama uses his vacation time to play. Here he is at the Mid Pacific Country Club in Kailua, Hawaii, making the most of his family vacation.
6. BARACK OBAMA IS STILL A POWERFUL VOICE IN POLITICSSource:Getty
In this screengrab taken from Twitter.com, Barack Obama endorsed Democratic presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden during a video released earlier this year.
7. BARACK OBAMA IS A #GIRLDADSource:Getty
He’s a #GirlDad. Barack Obama is a family man first. Here he is sharing a warm embrace with his daughter Malia Obama where they had a dual celebration for the 4th of July and her 18th birthday.
8. BARACK OBAMA IS A SCHOLARSource:Getty
In addition to being a Harvard grad, Barack Obama received an honorary degree from Rutgers President Robert Barchi and gave the commencement speech at Rutgers University’s 250th anniversary.
9. BARACK OBAMA CAN TANGOSource:Getty
He has moves! Barack Obama danced tango with a dancer during the official state dinner at the Centro Cultural Kirchner in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
10. BARACK OBAMA IS COOL, PERIODSource:Getty
Barack Obama stands on stage with rapper Jay-Z and musician Bruce Springsteen at an election campaign rally in Columbus, Ohio.