Photo by: Rob Carr/Getty Images
The 2022 Midterm elections occurred Tuesday, November 8th and there are a lot of impacts that will affect the Black community.
Here’s what happened this week.
1. Wes Moore Wins as the First Black Governor of MarylandSource:Getty
Democrat Wes Moore won Maryland’s governor race, becoming the first Black governor of the state!
2. Democratic Candidate for Governor of Georgia Stacey Abrams LosesSource:Getty
Stacey Abrams loses for the second time as she ran for governor of the state of Georgia.
3. Desantis Takes Florida for a Second TimeSource:Getty
Ron Desantis (Republican) wins and will serve a second term as Florida’s Governor defeating Democratic nominee Rep. Val Demings.
4. Maxwell Frost Becomes First Gen Z to Win House Seat for Florida’s 10th Congressional DistrictSource:Getty
Maxwell Frost, a Democrat, defeated Calvin Wimbish, a Republican, to capture the House seat for Florida’s 10th Congressional District as the first Gen Z to do so.
5. Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker are Heading to a RunoffSource:Getty
US Senate Runoff will take place in GA between Raphael Warnock and Herschel Walker.
6. Austin Davis Won Pennsylvania’s Lieutenant Governor RaceSource:Getty
Austin Davis won Pennsylvania’s Lieutenant Governor. He becomes the first African American to hold that position.
7. Letitia James Won Re-Election as New York Attorney GeneralSource:Getty
Letitia James, the attorney general of New York, gained reelection by defeating her Republican opponent, Michael Henry.
8. Democratic candidate Summer Lee is the Projected Winner of Pennsylvania’s Congressional District 12 RaceSource:Getty
According to predictions, Democratic candidate Summer Lee will defeat Republican Mike Doyle in the battle for Pennsylvania’s 12th Congressional District. Lee will represent Pennsylvania in Congress as the first Black woman to do so.
9. What Does the 2022 Midterm Elections Results Mean:Source:Getty
If Democrats maintain their razor-thin majorities in the House and Senate, or whether Republicans take over one or both chambers of the legislature, depends on a series of tight races which can affect the Black community in terms of our quality of life and our rights. what does the 2022 midterm elections results mean: