Arroz Congri with Kidney Beans and Coconut Milk by Chef Bren Herrera
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, finely pressed + 3 mashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups dry light or dark kidney beans picked through, rinsed, soaked overnight
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups white long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large sauce pot or dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- Begin to sauté the onion, green pepper, and garlic until onions are translucent about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the bayleaf and beans into the pot and cover with 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup coconut milk.
- Season with salt and cracked black pepper and stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and cook over medium heat for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add in the rice, 1 cup coconut milk and ½ cup chicken stock (if needed) and stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the liquid about 20- 30 minutes. Take the lid off the rice and let sit for about 10 minutes before fluffing if desired.
- Drizzle on 1 tablespoon olive oil. Gently separate rice grains using a fork, working your way to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve hot.
arroz congri , Chef Bren Herrera , Chef Bren Herrera Recipes , Food , Latin food , Latin recipes , New Soul Kitchen , Recipe , Recipes
Also On CLEO TV: