1 cup uncooked medium grain white rice or Carolina Gold
8 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon Thai bird chili, minced for garnish
½ cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
Juice of 1 lemon
1. In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken, turmeric, coriander, Za’atar,
salt and pepper and mix.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and
once hot add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes. Lightly break up the
ground chicken with your wooden spoon, but not too much because you
want to leave larger chunks of ground chicken.
3. Add the celery, carrots, onion, yucca, red onion, ginger, and garlic. Season
with salt as needed and stir.
4. Add in the rice and stir into the vegetables toasting for 2-3 minutes. Then
add the chicken broth, bring the soup up to a boil and lower to a simmer.
Cook for about 16-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the yucca is
5. Serve the asopao with Thai bird chili, cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Sometimes I like to drink mine out of a mug.