Chef Bren Herrera cooks up succulent braised peppered oxtails. Plus, she reveals how to cook up this dish in half the time but with all of the flavor.
- 3 pounds oxtail
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cup tomato sauce or 3 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bottle red wine (Merlot from Argentina)
- 1 red bell pepper, ½” julienne
- 1 Spanish onion, ½” julienne
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Clean the oxtail, minimally trimming any excess fat, using a paring knife. Some fat is good as it will render and add flavor to the sauce.
- Season the oxtail with salt.
- Heat the oil in the stovetop pressure cooker over high or use the browning setting for the electric pressure cooker.
- Add the oxtail to the cooker and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the cooker and gently stir.
- Cancel cooking for the electric cooker and close lid.
- Set to high pressure(15 PSI) and set the timer to 35 minutes.
- Cook over high heat until the pressure point is reached.
- Then lower the heat to medium and continue to cook.
- Set to the stew setting and adjust the time to add an additional 5 minutes, or set to high pressure (10-12 PSI) and 40 minutes.
- When done, remove from the heat or turn off the cooker and allow the pressure to release on its own (natural- release), about 12 minutes.
- If the pressure is not fully out at 12 minutes, turn the valve to auto-release.
- When all of the pressure is out, open the cooker and gently stir.
- Adjust for salt and pepper.
braised peppered oxtails , Chef Bren Herrera Recipes , New Soul Kitchen , New Soul Kitchen recipes , oxtails recipes , Recipes
Also On CLEO TV: