- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound okra, pods halved lengthwise
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, add a few inches of vegetable oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the okra with the beaten egg. Let the okra stand for 5 minutes to absorb the egg.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the rice flour, cornstarch, paprika, and salt. Remove the okra from the large bowl, allowing excess egg to drip back into the bowl, and transfer the okra to the flour mixture. Toss the okra to dredge evenly. Lift from the flour and shake off the excess.
- Cook the okra in batches in the hot oil until golden and crunchy, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on size.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel–lined plate. Season with salt immediately. Repeat with the remaining okra.