1. Heat a large cast iron skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. Add the
onions, peppers, and garlic and saute for 3 minutes or until they begin to
2. Move the onions to one side of the pan and add the ground beef, season with
salt, add the oregano and chili flakes. Lightly break up the beef with a
wooden spoon or spatula. Cook mixing into the onions and pepper mixture
until the ground beef is no longer pink and turns golden brown in color. This
should be about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add the Italian sausage and tomato sauce into the beef. Mix to combine
everything together. Then add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Continue to cook over medium heat while preparing the filling.
4. In a large bowl stir together the ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, and ½ cup
Pecorino Romano cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. In your individual cast iron pans (about 6 inches) add one layer of noodles to
the bottom. Add a scoop of tomato sauce, a scoop of ricotta filling, and more
mozzarella cheese on top. Add another layer of noodles followed by a scoop
of sauce and grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
7. Place the skillets on a sheet tray. Put in the oven and bake until golden
brown and bubbly.