- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Beyond Meat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Spicy Black Beans or 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 14.5-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven and add the onion when the oil begins to shimmer. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt and sauté for about 3 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, bell peppers, and poblano and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add the Beyond Meat and spread it out in an even layer on the bottom of the pot. Stir to crumble as it cooks.
- Once the Beyond Meat starts to brown, add the spices, herbs, and the remaining 1½ tsps. salt. Stir to coat and toast the spices and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat to medium and cover the pot. Simmer the chili to let the flavors meld and the sauce thickens, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Season to taste. Let cool and store in an airtight nonreactive container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, if you’re not serving it immediately.
Chef JJ Johnson , Just Eats with Chef JJ , vegan chili recipe , vegan recipes , vegetarian chili recipe , vegetarian recipes
Also On CLEO TV: