Pollo en Fricassée (Cuban-Style Chicken Stew) by Chef Bren Herrera
Chef Bren shows off her momma’s Cuban cooking style with Pollo en Fricasse (stewed chicken with tomatoes). Plus, she reveals a time-saving tip for cooking this dish.
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds chicken, 4 breasts, 4 legs
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, julienne slices
- 5 cloves garlic, mashed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1” round slices
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- ½ cup dry white cooking wine
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 white potatoes, cut into 1” pieces
- ½ cup Spanish olives with pimento
- ¼ cup raisins
- In a large dutch oven over medium-high heat add oil. Season the clean chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to the pan and lightly brown 6-7 minutes on each side. Then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add green bell pepper, onion, carrots, and saute. Then add in the apple cider vinegar and stir to combine.
- Add the garlic to the pan and keep on medium-low heat while adding the remaining ingredients.
- Once the vegetables have cooked down a bit add in the tomato sauce, the white wine, the red wine, and the chicken stock. Then add in oregano, cumin, and bay leaves.
- Add the chicken pieces back into the pan along with the potatoes followed by the olives and raisins and stir everything to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 5 minutes, stirring very gently, making sure not to tear the chicken.
- Cook for about 40 minutes until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is tender.
Chef Bren Herrera , Chef Bren Herrera Recipes , chicken stew recipe , Cuban recipes , New Soul Kitchen
Also On CLEO TV: