Veggie Calzone with Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Pesto Recipe
Chef Ahki makes her amazing vegan calzones with sun-dried tomatoes and a homemade pesto spread. Plus, she reveals a tip for going vegan while maintaining your weight.
- DOUGH INGREDIENTS
- 1½ Cups spelt or Kamut flour
- 1⅛ tsp fast-acting yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tbsp coconut sugar
- ¾ cup warm water, or as needed
- 1 cup chopped Veggies of your choice (portobello mushrooms, red onions, bell pepper, zucchini)
- Italian spice blend, salt to taste
- Vegan cheese - optional
- SUN-DRIED TOMATO & PESTO SPREAD INGREDIENTS
- ½ cup raw walnuts (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- Handful garlic chives
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium tomato
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, packed
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, and oil to a large mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the water, as needed, until the dough is soft and has come together nicely. Form into a ball.
- Place the dough ball in a well-oiled bowl and cover with a clean dishtowel. Allow to rise, until it has doubled in size, which can take up to 1 hour (it was 40 minutes for me).
Sun-Dried Tomato & Pesto Spread
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor and blend/processed until smooth, adding a bit of water, if needed.
- Veggies: Heat sautée pan on medium-high with 2 tbsp. Oil. Add all veggies and dried Italian herb seasoning. Cook until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 500F.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 4 portions. and roll each one into a thin layer. Be careful not to make them too thick!
- Spread the sauce on each calzone, without going all the way to the edges.
- Add the "toppings" - veggies and vegan cheese - on one side of the calzone.