Black Celebrities, Best (And Dopest) Magazine Covers Of 2019 was originally published on hellobeautiful.com
1. Taraji P Henson on SELFSource:SELF Magazine
Taraji P. Henson ages like a fine wine — she just gets better with age. Need proof? Check out her slayage on the digital December cover of SELF Magazine with that fro and that glow.
2. Lizzo on British VogueSource:British Vogue Magazine
For the December issue of the UK’s Fashion Bible, the 31-year-old slayed in a black fitted Versace gown, an Adrienne Landau feather boa, and a beehive hairstyle with tresses flowing down her head.
3. Regina King on Marie ClaireSource:Marie Claire Magazine
Regina King dominated 2019!
The Oscar-winning star of HBO’s “Watchmen” graced the November cover of Marie Claire, looking like an utter dream in Gabriela Hearst dress and Bulgari accessories.
4. Jodie Turner-Smith On EssenceSource:Essence Magazine
The pregnant AND married “Queen & Slim” star looked gorgeous on the November cover of Essence. That melanin, those cheekbones, that look? 10’s across the board.
5. Normani on CosmoSource:Cosmopolitan Magazine
The 23-year-old beauty rocked the heck out of the December 2019/January 2020 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine. Rocking a pink peek-a-boo leather Jonathan Simkhai top and skirt, along with a pair of Established “Baby girl” nameplate earrings, the Atlanta native gave us nothing short of around-the-way pop music princess.
6. Mary J. Blige on SELFSource:Jason Kim for SELF Magazine
Mary J. Blige continued her “bad b***h fall” domination!
The Grammy-winning singer and Oscar nominee stunned on the November digital issue of SELF Magazine rocking a white and black Chromat bodysuit, Alain Mikli sunglasses and Aquazurra netted booties.
YOU BETTER WERK MARY!!!
7. Rihanna on VogueSource:Vogue Magazine
Rihanna shut down 2019, not just with her uber-popular Fenty line, but by gracing the November 2019 cover of Vogue. The 31-year-old looked absolutely stunning.
Rocking a tan Fenty tulle coat and a full-face of her Fenty makeup line (we’d expect nothing less), the Grammy winner glowed in her 6th — yes 6th — Vogue cover!
8. Coco Gauff on Teen VogueSource:Teen Vogue Magazine
What an amazing year it’s been for 15-year-old tennis phenom Cori “Coco” Gauff, who graced the special issue cover of Teen Vogue.
Gauff stole the world’s heart at Wimbledon this summer, beating out her idol Venus Williams in the first round, and then making it to the Grand Slam’s quarterfinals.
9. Serena Williams on Harper’s BazaarSource:Harper's Bazaar Magazine
The tennis GOAT stunned on her August covers of Harper’s Bazaar, which let us remind you were all unretouched. The mom of one wanted to show the world her authentic self, and we love her even more for it!
Thank you Serena for another year of reminding us how amazing you are.
10. Tyra Banks on Sports IllustratedSource:Sports Illustrated Magazine
Tyra Banks didn’t come to play games! The 45-year-old supermodel came out of retirement to rock the cover of the 2019 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
11. Zendaya On AllureSource:Allure Magazine
The “Euphoria” star didn’t come to play with us with her December/January Allure cover. Zendaya channeled her inner 70s self and we absolutely love it!
12. Tracee Ellis Ross On Essence
Tracee Ellis Ross and her afro on the October issue of Essence was everything we didn’t know we needed. The 47-year-old “Black-ish” star continues to serve and shine with everything she does.
13. Michelle Obama on PEOPLESource:Miller Mobley / PEOPLE Magazine
PEOPLE Magazine named our #ForeverFLOTUS one of their people of the year. Naturally, she looked stunning on the cover (as if we should expect anything less).
14. Halima Aden, Amina Adan, and Ikram Abdi Omar on Vogue ArabiaSource:Vogue Arabia Magazine
Halima Aden, Amina Adan, and Ikram Abdi Omar made history, becoming the first Black women to grace Vogue Arabia’s cover in April.
15. Lupita Nyong’o on Vanity FairSource:Vanity Fair Magazine
The “Sulwe” author and Oscar winner was a goddess in this yellow-green Valentino tulle confection for the October issue of Vanity Fair.
16. Indya Moore on ELLESource:ELLE Magazine
The 24-year-old performer became the first trans person to grace ELLE’s cover in its 34-year history.
17. Gabrielle Union and Kaavia on ParentsSource:Parents Magazine
In their first cover together, Gabrielle Union posed with her #ShadyBaby Kaavia for the May issue of Parents Magazine. This mama-daughter duo brightened our year!
18. Janelle Monaé on InStyleSource:InStyle Magazine
She’s a badass! Don’t believe us — ask InStyle. Monae graced the cover of the InStyle’s Badass Women issue wearing a long bubble ponytail.
19. Missy Elliot on Marie ClaireSource:Marie Claire Magazine
Styled by none other than June Ambroise, the iconic Missy Elliot gave us our entire life on the August cover of Marie Claire.